Ken Writes About Stuff Subscription

KWAS logo_300_whiteEach month in Ken Writes About Stuff, Kenneth Hite turns his considerable writing talents and encyclopedic knowledge of game design, history, the occult and all things Mythos to bear on new topic. From hideous creatures to GUMSHOE innovations, from Moon Dust Men to martial arts, Ken illuminates the dark corners of the genre with 4000-word mini-supplements.

You can pick and choose individual articles at $2.95. A subscription costs $24.95 and, as well as giving you a generous 30% discount on the individual article price, we offer an exclusive extra all subscribers at the end of each year..

The subscription runs from April to March,  and any when you order, you’ll get all the issues of the current KWAS to date. The latest edition will be added to your order receipt page when it is released, so all you need to do is click on the link in your order email. (If you can’t find your receipt email, you can get another one sent to you by entering your email address here).

Read what Paul Baldowski over at GeekNative says:

“I consider this series a wake-up call to the lacklustre, to remind them tales of the Mythos, using whatever system, should instil uneasiness, upset and fear. Grasp the potential of the unearthly and inhuman, and make sure next time the investigator’s meet a Shoggoth they have have a truly memorable encounter.”

Installments KWAS 3

Coming soon, to a KWAS subscription near you! Here’s what the third annual subscription brings:

• April 2015: Hideous Creatures: Tcho-Tcho“The nastiest people who ever lived … and whatever it is they were doing, they weren’t going to let a stranger in on it.” Do you really want to know what the Tcho-Tcho know? Too late.
  • May 2015: The Spear of Destiny. Is it the Spear that pierced Christ’s side, or the Spear of Odin? Does it grant true kingship or invincibility? Who has borne it through the millennia, and who seeks its true whereabouts now? This issue pierces the legend to reach the truth — and then makes the legend invincible. Plus, a look at the Spear for NIGHT’S BLACK AGENTS, THE ESOTERRORISTS, TRAIL OF CTHULHU, and TIMEWATCH.
  • June 2015: Hideous Creatures: Great Race of Yith. “As mental barriers wore down, I beheld great masses of thin vapour in various parts of the building and in the streets below. These steadily grew more solid and distinct, till at last I could trace their monstrous outlines with uncomfortable ease.” From unguessable aliens to cone-shaped librarians to beetle-conquerors, the Great Race of Yith takes many forms. Learn to recognize them, before they take yours!
  • July 2015: Mutant City Spies. Ten years after the ghost flu hit, the world is changed — but the secret world stays the same. Enemies of your country still plot, terrorists still scheme — but now they might have superpowers. An espionage-specops frame for Mutant City Blues takes the super fights into the shadows.
  • August 2015: Hideous Creatures: Wendigo. ” In spite of his exceeding mental perturbation, Simpson struggled hard to detect its nature, and define it …” Cannibal spirit or arctic ogre? Wind-walking demigod or folie a faim? Hunt the Wendigo down — or up into the skies, where mad auroras roll.
  • September 2015: Moon Dust Men: MAJESTIC Overwatch. The Moon Dust Men are the tip of the spear. MAJESTIC-12 aims it. Manage the global war against the aliens with this new GUMSHOE subsystem. Do you build retro-engineered Aurora craft, or bioroids to fight on the Moon? Do you launch satellite screens or dig in anti-saucer lasers? You decide where the black budget goes — and who it goes after.
  • October 2015: Hideous Creatures: Hunting Horror. “I see it—coming here—hell-wind—titan blur—black wings—Yog-Sothoth save me—the three-lobed burning eye. . . .” Avatar or servitor, this winged and coiling horror haunts the dark and hunts those who seek it out. Shine a little light on this most shadowy of creatures!
  • November 2015: Moon Dust Men: Galileo Uplift. To fight aliens, one must use the alien. Take it apart, reverse-engineer it, rebuild it, turn it into armor and sensors and weapons and aircraft good enough to win a war against an enemy from the stars. Tech and gear for your high-powered MOON DUST MEN game, powered by a new GUMSHOE “tech tree” subystem for bootstrapping invention and development.

You can see the installments from Volume #1 here.

You can see the installments from Volume #2 here.

Let us know in the comments what other installments you’d like to see!

Stock #: PELH27D Author: Kenneth Hite
Artist: Various Pages: 10pg PDF per edition

Buy

25 Responses to “Ken Writes About Stuff Subscription”

1. Jeff Kahrs says:

Must have. Losing Stability waiting to buy…

2. Zed Lopez says:

Will this be PDF-only, or include epub and mobi options?

3. Tyler says:

I’m onboard. Ken’s columnar compositions are an instabuy for me.

4. Jurie Horneman says:

If there’s a link to the place where I give you money in this article, I’m not seeing it :)

5. Jeff Kahrs says:

You have to go to shop. Took me a bit to figure out also.

6. […] Ken Writes About Stuff from Pelgrane Press- […]

7. Robin says:

would love to see some real world locations having their mythos / mystery potential explored and exploded. As a born and bred Londoner, I love the take on London in Bookhounds… I’ve always wanted to set something on the Scilly Isles since I visited for work and found the place facinating, but Stonehenge also spring to mind, as do Whitby and Chernobyl; though I’m sure Ken could conjure many gems of his own…

8. […] Ken Writes About Stuff – subscribe now to 12 issues of Ken Hite-ly goodness. Topics have been given in advance! Talking at Yourself by Robin D. Laws, useful advice on how to manage conversations with multiple NPCs. The Call of Chicago: Expediting, Ordering, Inquiring – a sneak peak at the upcoming Mythos Expeditions by Kenneth Hite How to play GUMSHOE – Kevin Kulp explains General Abilities and Investigative Abilities for new players […]

9. Stuntlau Perez says:

Elder Things next please.
    And maybe Mysterious Tomes for Bookhounds written a la Armitage Files.

10. Sean says:

I, for one, could use some Prisoner-style mind-control stuff. Got a setting, need the rules. Please?

11. Alam says:

I very much miss the Earth city articles you used to write for Dragon. It’d be great to see you write up modern locations for gaming, like San Francisco or Providence.

12. Paul says:

I’ll add another vote for writeups on locations. We can do the research ourselves, but given that Ken’s so good at it, why would we want to?

Also, Hideous Creatures: Ghouls.

13. Pieclone says:

In addition to locations, how about some historical eras? I understand Ken started writing some Elizabethan stuff some time ago (GURPS Gloriana and This Sceptr’d Isle), mentioned on the Lovecraftian Obsession podcast a few years back. I’d love to see some of the work he poured into that in either a KWAS or a future full-sized expansion.

p.s. Full size Elizabethan period supplement for both NBA and Trail of Cthulhu please. I would happily pay silly money for this book written by Mr Hite.

14. Adam C. says:

The price isn’t bad, but I hate pdfs, so pass. Put it on the web, as HTML, and I might think about it.

15. Lisa Padol says:

By the time I list Christopher Marlowe, Dr. Dee, Queen Elizabeth, and Walsingham, I realize that what I really want is a full blown Elizabethan Intrigue sourcebook or game.

16. Sean says:

Second that. GUMSHOE Gloriana or bust!

17. Craig says:

Elder Things would be a great pair with the Shoggoths. Especially for folks planning on running the Beyond the Mountains of Madness conversion.

18. Cambias says:

I’ve always wanted to see Ken’s take on the New Orleans Axeman.

19. Scott says:

Under the “Creatures” heading, I’d love to see something on lloigor.
    And thanks, Cambias, for calling my attention to the Axeman! Interesting story!

20. Pamar says:

I hope not to pass for … disingenous here. Or inappropriate.

Would it be at all possible to see something for WARP System?

21. Stefan says:

When can subscribers count with the email for renewing their subscription and how can i get this bonus stuff you mentioned.

22. Daniel Fidelman says:

I would be glad to seee that [Stuff]hounds of Moscow, you have hinted on. And maybe a Berin version as well.

More city write-ups would also be welcomed. I, for one, was a fan of the Mombai one