Fire Opal Media Inc. 13th Age Roleplaying Game Community Use Policy
Last updated April 21st, 2016
This policy relates to non-commercial activity only. For details on the Open Game License and commercial applications, please visit the Licensing Overview.
Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity
The 13th Age community is an intelligent, creative, dedicated, and enthusiastic group of people, and we at Fire Opal Media appreciate and value the contributions of our community members. This Community Use Policy is designed to encourage you to spread your enthusiasm and creativity while respecting ownership of our copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual properties.
While copyright and trademark laws protect our property, they also prevent you from using our intellectual properties in most circumstances. That means that you are generally prohibited from using any of our logos, images, or other trademarks or copyrighted content without our consent. This policy grants you the consent to use some of our intellectual property under certain circumstances.
This policy authorizes certain non-commercial use of the 13thAge – related material specifically identified in the Permissions section of this policy (“13th Age Material”).
When we say “non-commercial,” we mean you cannot sell or otherwise charge anyone for access to content used under this Policy. If you make any commercial use of 13th Age Material, your rights under this Policy will be automatically terminated, and any permission granted by this Policy will be immediately revoked. If Fire Opal Media believes that you are in the publishing business, you are considered to be a commercial user, and you are not granted any right to use any 13th Age Material under this Policy. (Commercial users may be able to use or license certain 13th Age Material outside of this Policy and the Archmage Engine with our express written consent. If you are interested in securing permission or a license, please contact us at email@example.com)
To use 13th Age Material under this Policy you must include the following notice in plainly legible and accessible form in each product or on each website that uses any 13th Age Material:
“This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Fire Opal Media, which are used under the Fire Opal Media, 13th Age Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This [website, character sheet, or whatever it is] is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Fire Opal Media. For more information about Fire Opal Media’s 13th Age Community Use Policy, please visit www.fireopalmedia.com/communityuse. For more information about Fire Opal Media and 13th Age products, please visit www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com.”
- You agree to not use any material in a way that suggests Fire Opal Media endorses or is in any way responsible for anything you create, or that suggests that you have any other relationship with Fire Opal Media, unless we have a separate written agreement that lets you do so.
- You agree to not use Fire Opal Media or 13th Age’s trade dress—that is, you may not make your material look like ours. You agree that such use could irreparably harm Fire Opal Media.
- You agree to use your best efforts to preserve the high standard of our intellectual property.
- You agree to present Fire Opal Media, our products, and the 13th Age Material in a generally positive light.
- You agree to not use this permission for material that the general public would classify as “adult content,” offensive, or inappropriate for minors, and you agree that such use would irreparably harm Fire Opal Media.
- You agree to not do anything illegal in or with products or websites produced under this Policy.
- You agree to contact us through the Fire Opal Media website and submit a description of the material you are creating with links to the material as appropriate.
The permissions granted under this Policy are personal to you and may not be assigned or transferred without our consent. Please do not hotlink to images on our website, as we may move those images (thus breaking your links) at any time.
This policy in no way alters Fire Opal Media’s ownership of any of our intellectual property and we reserve the right to amend, modify or terminate this Policy at any time. We will post revisions to this Policy on our website, so check back frequently to make sure you have the most current version.
We at Fire Opal Media would like to note a special thanks to Lisa Stevens and Paizo Publishing LLC for allowing us to leverage their excellent policy!