Fire Opal Media Inc.
13th Age Roleplaying Game Community Use Policy
Last updated July 15th, 2022
This policy relates to non-commercial activity only. For details on the Open Game License and commercial applications, please visit the Licensing Overview.
Applicable to Non-Commercial Activity
The 13th Age community is an intelligent, creative, dedicated, and enthusiastic group of people, and we at Fire Opal Media appreciate and value the contributions of our community members. This Community Use Policy is designed to encourage you to spread your enthusiasm and creativity while respecting ownership of our copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual properties. It applies to Twitch and YouTube videos, adventures, websites, podcasts, software, and other extensions of Fire Opal Media products.
While copyright and trademark laws protect our property, they also prevent you from using our intellectual properties. That means that you are generally prohibited from using any of our logos, images, or other trademarks or copyrighted content without our consent. This policy grants you the consent to use some of our intellectual property under certain circumstances.
This policy authorizes certain non-commercial use of the 13th Age – related material specifically identified in the Permissions section of this policy (“13th Age Material”).
- Your project must be free.
- Free doesn’t just mean free from payment, it also means free from hassle. You can’t require survey completions, gate access behind downloads of unrelated products, require opting in to email lists (unless the entirety of your project is only available in email form), or other unnecessary annoyances as a requirement to access your project. You can’t lock your content behind a paywall of any sort.
- You are allowed to accept donations on platforms like Patreon and to generate advertising revenue via YouTube, Twitch, and web ads.
- You are allowed to have paid sponsorship of your content as long as that sponsor is clearly identified to your audience.
- You agree to not use any material in a way that suggests Fire Opal Media endorses or is in any way responsible for anything you create, or that suggests that you have any other relationship with Fire Opal Media, unless we have a separate written agreement that lets you do so.
- You agree to not use Fire Opal Media or 13th Age’s trade dress—that is, you may not make your material look like ours. You agree that such use could irreparably harm Fire Opal Media.
- You agree to use your best efforts to preserve the high standard of our intellectual property.
- You agree to present Fire Opal Media Inc., Pelgrane Press LLC, our products, and the 13th Age Material in a generally positive light.
- You agree to not use this permission for material that the general public would classify as “adult content,” offensive, or inappropriate for minors, and you agree that such use would irreparably harm Fire Opal Media.
- You agree to not do anything illegal in or with products produced under this policy.
- You agree to obtain permission to use any third party’s intellectual property in your project as well. If we find out that you’re using someone else’s IP in your project without their permission, we may deny the use of our IP and require you to take down and/or stop distributing your project. Other people’s IPs are valuable, too, and you need permission to use them just like you need permission to use ours.
- Non-Commercial Use: If you make any commercial use of 13th Age Material, beyond what is explicitly allowed by this policy, your rights under this policy will be automatically terminated, and any permission granted by this policy will be immediately revoked. If Fire Opal Media believes that you are in the publishing business, you are considered to be a commercial user, and you are not granted any right to use any 13th Age Material under this policy. For commercial use, please apply for the 13th Age Archmage Engine License or the 13th Age Compatibility License.
- You agree to contact us through either the Fire Opal Media website or the Pelgrane Press website and submit a description of the material you are creating with links to the material as appropriate.
- To use 13th Age Material under this policy you must include the following notice in plainly legible and accessible form in each project, product, or on each website that uses any 13th Age Material:
“This [website, product name, or Twitch show title, etc.] uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Fire Opal Media Inc., which are used under the Fire Opal Media Inc., 13th Age Community Use Policy. We are expressly prohibited from charging you to use or access this content. This [website, product name, or Twitch show title, etc.] is not published, endorsed, or specifically approved by Fire Opal Media.”
As long as you comply with all of the above usage requirements, we hereby grant you the following permissions:
- You may use any 13th Age artwork not specifically marked otherwise found on www.fireopalmedia.com and http://www.pelgranepress.com. You may not alter the color, typography, design, or proportions of the logos or icons, or otherwise modify them.
- You may use the cover images, as displayed on www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com, of all of the 13th Age product. Product covers may not be cropped, color adjusted, edited, distorted, or modified.
- You may use the textual product descriptions, as they appear on the back of each product or in the product listings on www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com, of all of the 13th Age products.
- You may descriptively reference trademarks, proper names (characters, icons, monsters, deities, artifacts, places, etc.), locations and characters from 13th Age products listed on www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com, provided it is clear that these are our marks.
- You may descriptively reference dialogue, plots, storylines, language, and incidents from 13th Age products on www.fireopalmedia.com and www.pelgranepress.com in campaign journals and play-by-post or play-by-email games.
The permissions granted under this policy are personal to you and may not be assigned or transferred without our consent. Please do not hotlink to images on our website, as we may move those images (thus breaking your links) at any time.
This policy in no way alters Fire Opal Media’s ownership of any of our intellectual property and we reserve the right to amend, modify or terminate this policy at any time. We will post revisions to this policy on our website, so check back frequently to make sure you have the most current version.
*We at Fire Opal Media would like to note a special thanks to Lisa Stevens and Paizo Publishing LLC for allowing us to leverage their excellent policy!