We are in the all-too-narrow gap between Origins and Gen Con, and the Nest is a hive of frenzied activity (if you’d forgive the mixed metaphor). Some new releases will make Gen Con, others won’t. Origins is a little like a relaxed dress rehearsal for Gen Con. It has shorter exhibition hours, and while it’s busy, the aisles never get blocked with throngs of people. I had the pleasure of meeting Colleen Riley, our Administrative Assistant, and we mingled as always with game designers and fellow publishers new and old. By contrast, Gen Con will be at maximum capacity – hotel booking has become even more fraught this year as they play Tetris with the Pelgrane Crew. We’ll be having a GUMSHOE workshop and annual summit pre-convention to ease us into the mayhem.
The Fall of Delta Green
The Fall of DELTA GREEN is in stores, its launch coinciding with Free RPG Day. Kickstarter backers and pre-orderers were shipped their copies some time ago. For pre-orderers, the Free RPG Day release PDF is now available as a download on your bookshelf, and Kickstarter backers will also receive a grabcode. Geek and Sundry has written a detailed review of Fall – describing it as:
“… a game you need to try because it is one of the greatest settings of all-time, uses a system that perfectly matches the investigative genre, is produced by a team of publishers, designers, and artists all working at the height of their powers to produce what may prove to be an iconic product of this current golden age of role-playing.”
If you bought a physical copy from Pelgrane, the Free RPG Day release is now available for download from your bookshelf.
Trail of Cthulhu
- Hideous Creatures: A Bestiary of the Cthulhu Mythos our bumper book of fearsome Lovecraftian horrors is now in layout. Most of the creatures originally appeared in Ken Writes About Stuff, but they’ve been substantially expanded. We’ll be offering a voucher to KWAS subscriber when the book appears on pre-order.
Loot Harder: A Book of Treasures is now available for pre-order.
The Book of Ages layout is nearly complete, and includes in it tools for your to chronicle your own Ages, unique to your campaign. If you need an Age-ending cataclysm, try these:
RANDOM WORLDSHATTERING CATACLYSM TABLE
Roll a d6.
1. Dimensional barriers failed, allowing demons, elementals and entities from other worlds to rampage across the Empire.
Reality collapsed and had to be rebuilt. The barriers fell because (roll a d6)
1. Magic stopped working
2. An evil cult completed a ritual
3. Fools opened an ancient ward
4. Invaders from the far side broke through
5. The stars were right
6. No-one knows, and it might happen again at any time.
2. Plague stalked the land, killing 5d20% of the population. Victims of the plague (roll a d6)
1. Rose as zombies
2. Exploded into flames
3. Became brain-slaves of the Overmind
4. Ascended bodily into the divine realms
5. Became hosts for the killer insects
6. Marched into the Midland Sea and drowned
3. A gigantic beast marauded across the land and destroyed the Empire. It was… (roll a d6)
1. The Red
2. A Koru Behemoth
3. A Living Dungeon
4. A monster from the Iron Sea
5. An extradimensional invader with lots of tentacles
6. An icon gone insane
4. Something fell from the sky. What was it? (roll a d6)
1. Giant flaming meteors of doom
2. Spears of ice
3. Monstrous alien eggs
4. Murderous insane angels
5. Face-eating jaguars
6. Chunks of the sky
5. Volcanoes erupted, vomiting gouts of hellfire and demonbile, and smoke darkened the sky creating a year without light. What horrors followed? (roll a d6)
1. Crops failed and famine stalked the land.
2. Fire elementals everywhere.
3. The volcanoes became hellholes and demons reigned.
4. The survivors were forced to hide underground in caves and dungeons for a century.
5. The survivors evacuated to flying islands and could not return to the surface for many years.
6. Attempts by the Archmage to tame the volcanoes broke the foundations of magic.
6. The Empire was destroyed by civil war (roll a d6)
1. Between rival heirs to the throne
2. Between the various races of Elves, Dwarves and Humans
3. When the Emperor went mad and had to be overthrown
4. Because evil cults had taken over the Empress’s court and poisoned her mind against the people
5. Triggered by economic collapse
6. Between rival religions
Mutant City Blues
Mutant City Blues second edition is underway. Gareth has made a pass through updating the text, he’s added a Private Detective option for Luke Cage / Jessica Jones style action, and Robin is tweaking the rules to update the blast rules. It will have all new art, to reflect a more modern sensibility.